Forensic Medical Examiner (FME) Jersey
Payment on a sessional basis £600 per day (07 00 hours- 19 00 hours) and £900 per night (19 00 hours- 07 00 hours)
We have an exciting opportunity for a Forensic Medical Examiner to join our small, friendly team in Jersey.
Jersey is the largest of the Channel Islands, with a population of approximately 110,000. With its beautiful beaches, excellent schools, and warmer weather, it offers a great lifestyle.
The forensic service for the island is covered by 4 Forensic Medical Examiners. We work on a 24 hour on call system, working from home, covering Police Custody, Customs and Immigration and the Sexual Assault Referral Centre. The work is varied and engaging. This working pattern allows time for other roles and there are opportunities for part time General Practice locally.
Dewberry House, our Sexual Assault Referral Centre, opened in 2017 and offers forensic examination, medical care and support to adult and child complainants of sexual assault. Funding has been secured to develop a Child House and victim care centre.
We are looking for a 3-month locum initially with a view to extending the contract. We would be keen to appoint an FME with experience in both general forensics and adult and paediatric sexual offences medicine.
Sexual offences medicine
· forensic and medical examination of adult complainants of sexual assault
· competence in examination of paediatric sexual abuse cases is desirable
· forensic examination of suspects
General forensic medicine
· fitness for detention and interview
· assess requirement for appropriate adult
· medical care of detainees in custody
· management of intoxication and withdrawal from substance misuse
· Road Traffic Law assessments including examination of drink or drug driving suspects
· Mental Health Law assessments
· injury documentation and photographs
· Completing evidential statements / reports and attendance at Court
· Working with Customs and Immigration managing suspected concealments
The successful applicant would meet the following criteria:
· A Registered Medical Practitioner with a licence to practice
· In good standing with the GMC
· Affiliate status of FFLM
· Annual Immediate Life Support training
· Proof of Indemnity
· Level 3 safeguarding
· Completion of FMERSA (Forensic and Medical Examination of Rape and Sexual Assault)
· Membership of the Faculty of Forensic and Legal Medicine
· Competence in the examination of adult and paediatric sexual offences
|Minimum Service Commitment:
1 weekday per week, 1 weekend per month
Minimum 10 hours per year of continuous professional development, of which 6 hours consists of external courses and meetings in UK
A commitment to achieving membership of the Faculty of Forensic and Legal Medicine if not already achieved
If you require further information or if you wish to apply for the role, please send a CV and covering letter including a brief personal statement which explains why you wish to apply and what skills, qualities, and attributes you possess which make you suited to this role to Dr Deryn Evans, Lead FME, email@example.com
Closing date: 01/10/21